http://www.makepovertyhistory.org <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/3794154?origin\x3dhttp://mom-on-the-net.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

cosmomama


Friday, November 29, 2002

MiSS SPeLL MiSS WoRD...MiSS INTeRPReTaTioN

In Pasar Pagi (somekind of Chinatown in Jakarta) we still find some old China man, that suffer from speech defect characterized by pronunciation of "R". So what they're say have different meaning or give a miss interpretation. I remember when I asked about one bottle of medicine; he said it is for " LAMBUT LONTONG".. (lontong is a food consisting of rice steamed in a banana leaf). I didn't understand what he said, so I asked the young one, and actually he meant was RAMBUT RONTOK (drop off hair)!!. In a chinesse restaurant, an old man offer me KEPITING CAH JAMBU (crab sauted with jambu fruit), so I thought it was a new menu, but  it was just KEPITING CAH JAMUR (crab sauted with mushroom), well you never know :)

When I used to work with HT and assoc., there was an expatriate employee worked with us. So this was our chance to learn each other language. She was willing to learn Bahasa, and one day she told us in proud : Saya mau ke salon untuk memotong rumput anak saya *I wanna go to salon to cut my son's grass*(?!&$##@*&*ergh) what she tried to say was:I wanna go to salon to cut my son's hair. We all laughed and we knew what she meant. She confused between "rambut=hair and rumput=grass", and then she said again : Rambut di hutan saya sudah lebat. *Hair in my forest is getting wild*. Actually she meant was:*Grass in my garden are getting wild.*

My friend's first experience in US was funny, when he went to a restaurant the waiter offered him: Do you wanna super salad? And he said: Yes give me one. But the waiter kept asked again, and he began to wonder,..actually the waiter meant was SOUP or SALAD, but coz it was his first experience so he heard it as SUPER SALAD.
When my son took a class at TUMBLE TOTS, that was his first experience in English, the teacher taught him a word TAKE A BOW and coz he was a 3 yrs old boy the word heard as TAIK KEBO *buffalo shit*..and his aunt was angry when he showed off his English TAKE A BOW..hi why you said that word !!!

And also with regional language, I like Sundanesse language, coz it's so nice, polite and kind. And my paint workers mostly come from Tasikmalaya. So I thought it was a time to showed off. When I checked my work in my workshop, I greeted them with : Kumaha, sadayana daramang?, they thought I was fluent in Sundanesse, and then when I asked them about the job, they answered me with a long and good Sundanesse, which was I didn't understand a word. So before it went to far I cut them : "Wow stop it, I don't understand!". I just know a few such as: Keukeuh sumeukeuh *mode on*LOL :) and gelo!......

-Cyberly close but physically far- NN





     DILARANG PROTES dan me-NGENYEK-i POSTING ya!
            

0 Comments:


Post a Comment

<< Home