Peggy Gish and other American pacifists are starting to get scared--but are pledging to stay in Iraq no matter what. People ask me if I am afraid. I have to say “yes.” I don’t want to die. I want to come home to Art and the boys and all my family and friends. But I also am willing to risk dying if my being here can help to prevent thousands of people from dying and suffering war here or elsewhere, in the next countries on Bush’s agenda.
I believe it is important that thousands of us be willing to die, not because dying is important, but so that we are able to take the risks it takes to so strongly say “no” to war, that governments lose the support for these wars, and there are no people left to fight them. I have no doubt that I was called here, and that the work has been important. In the meantime, we go on with our daily work, just as the Iraqi people go on as normally as they can, inspite of their fears. Spring has come here and we have had beautiful warm days, flowering bushes and orange blossoms....... >> map of human shield
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home